We have written numerous press releases to help UNC Health Care, UNC School of Medicine, UNC School of Nursing and their partner institutes communicate about basic research findings and the latest advances in medical care. This work has helped generate coverage in The Washington Post, USA Today, National Public Radio, BBC News and other high-impact media outlets.
For each press release, we review scientific papers or other source material, interview the research team and prepare an engaging summary that will hook lay readers without “dumbing down” the research. Topics range from new surgical techniques to what basic chemistry can tell us about the origins of life on Earth.
In addition to ad hoc press releases, we also regularly develop media briefing materials for scientific meetings and conferences.
Example news items:
- New simple test could help cystic fibrosis patients find best treatment
- Chronic bronchitis: New insights could lead to first diagnostic test and better treatments
- Researchers implicate suspect in heart disease linked to diabetes
- A gene’s journey from covert to celebrated
- Another reason to exercise: Burning bone fat – a key to better bone health
- UNC researchers discover promising new treatment for egg allergy
- Researchers discover a potential cause of autism
- Neurological underpinnings of schizophrenia just as complex as the disorder itself
- Study opens new door for ALS drug discovery
- Setting the stage for a new paradigm in treatment of heart failure
- Big goals, no limits for athletes in the nursing school
- UNC students win national competition in health care collaboration